Corned Beef Sandwich
Guinness Braised Onions
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 yellow onion sliced into rings
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb cooked corned beef thinly sliced
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 sandwich slices white cheddar
- butter or mayonnaise
- Preheat heavy-bottomed pot/pan with a lid over medium-high heat.
- Melt the butter then add the yellow onions and sauté for 5-minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned and softened. Add the Guinness then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning, until most of the liquid has cooked off. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a separate large skillet or grill pan over medium-low heat.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading mustard on the inside of all eight slices of bread and adding the corned beef, white cheddar, and braised onions.
- Spread butter or mayo on both sides of each sandwich then transfer the sandwich two at a time to the warmed skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Serve warm.