Crispy Lemon Pepper Panko Chicken
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp unseasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp divided
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper and lemon zest to a shallow bowl or a pie plate. Mix with a fork until well combined. Add the panko and mix in well, using a fork.
- Set the chicken breast on a cutting board or a cutting mat. Cover with plastic wrap and pound into an even thickness using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Dry the chicken well using paper towels, then rub with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil on both sides. Press the oiled chicken breast into the panko mix on both sides.
- Heat the remaining oil in a cast iron pan. Fry the chicken breast on both sides until the panko crust is golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the pan with the chicken into the oven. Bake the chicken until it is fully cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Transfer the chicken onto a plate and let cool for 3 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with lemon juice to taste.